cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX 7150 upgrade

marcus_sannig
New Contributor
Hi,

I did understand that there is a two tier approach to upgrade the firmware to the latest UFI code.

The recommended SW is:

I assume the R means router image:
SPR08090d.bin
SPR08090dufi.bin

I did not recieved the hardware yet, i plan to upgrade my customers campus with 5x 7150 in ring topology / (remote) stack configuration.

Depending on the default sw, i would need to downgrade /upgrade to the 8080e code before attempting to upgrade to 8090 or 8092? 
We do not plan to use zone director, because customers campus is possibly to small for such requirement, then the 8092 is the most future proof image at this moment in time?

The cusotmer may be interested in LAG groups, that is why he would need the router image, because that is a layer 3 feature - is that correct?

Without the router image, the 7150 cant configure LAG on his access ports?  

Stacking /Trunking is not influenced by the choice of sw image (switch /router)?

2 REPLIES 2

BenBeck
Hey Solaris, 

You can do lags and stacking on both router and switch images. These features also do not need a license. As for upgrading, it will depend. The safe, foolproof method will always be to use 8080e has an upgrade hop (ex. 8070a>8080e>8090e). As of now, we recommend sticking with the 8090 code train, with 8090e being the current recommendation. The above items can always vary depending on your exact scenario. Once you have your switches, feel free to open a support case and we can help walk you through some of these items. Let me know if you have any additional questions and I would be happy to help. 
Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

netwizz
Contributor III
You will probably want to contact support because they have changed the upgrade procedure a couple of times over the years.  I am sharing below what has worked for me

If it ships with anything below 08080, upgrade to 08080e first as instructed.

Depending upon what it is running if before 08080, I would try a manifest upgrade to get to 08080e if that is supported.  It probably is supported in any 08.0.70 but if your units come with an old 08.0.60 or 08.0.61 build I remember upgrading without a manifest.

You can do a "copy tftp ?" to see if system-manifest is offered.

You will undoubtedly need a TFTP server for any of these methods to work with any of the commands below as well as to configure an IP on the switches.  A TFTP server is different than an FTP server.  None of us endorse any certain one TFTP server product.  Currently I tend to use TFTPD by Ph. Jounin, but there are other great ones such as by Solar Winds.

You may want to use the ? each step of the way because there are minor differences depending on the code you are running.

Manifest Upgrade  Commands look something like this (it also upgrades the bootrom):  

copy tftp system-manifest 10.1.2.3 FI08080e_Manifest.txt primary switch-image
copy tftp system-manifest 10.1.2.3 FI08080e_Manifest.txt secondary router-image

Obviously, you will want to look at the flash before and after "show flash"

If you need to do a legacy upgrade (i.e. because manifest commands not available):

copy tftp flash 10.1.2.3 mnz10114.bin bootrom
copy tftp flash 10.1.2.3 SPR08080e.bin secondary
copy tftp flash 10.1.2.3 SPS08080e.bin primary

I would recommend these checks, too regardless before reloading (rebooting):

verify md5 secondary
verify md5 primary

ONCE AT 08080e a UFI upgrade is the way to go.  It also takes care of the bootrom:

copy tftp flash 10.1.2.3 SPS08090eufi.bin primary

copy tftp flash 10.1.2.3 SPR08090eufi.bin secondary

Once you are at 08090 builds, there is a default username and password, which is super and sp-admin.  It's super annoying.  Why not prompt for a password but not require one be set and force a default?  Common sense would be to simply not allow any remote administration until the device is secured.  At any rate, when you are prompted to change it, you are changing only the password.  The logon name is still super.

If any of this is not mentioned, a common post is, "I upgraded to 08090 and cannot get in... how do I reset the password on 7xxx?"  We have ALL done these typing test and test to get through the password prompts not paying attention.  The result is not username test password test but rather still username super with password test.

Obviously, you can create other accounts, use RADIUS authentication, etc. 

If it is your first time, you probably should contact support.  You will certainly want to check that the boot-room is the proper version for the image and that the checksum is good prior to reloading.  At any rate, getting support for an upgrade is less work than support for device recovery.  I really doubt you will have any issues though.  We have a couple hundred of these all of which have been upgraded at least half a dozen times without issue.  The key is having them on reliable power prior to upgrading.  If you loose power during a flash write, you are most likely going to have either the primary or secondary slot incomplete/un-bootable.  If it is writing the bootrom itself, it would possibly brick the unit.  This is of course true for any manufacturer's products when doing firmware upgrades.