cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I configure an IP helper for DHCP when handling mulitple VLANS

tom_lebel
New Contributor II
I am new to ICX.  I have SPR08061a code running and have Ruckus R610 APs plugged in to multiple ports.  The AP are configured for 4 VLANs via 4 SSIDs (based on OS running on end device and a guest network).
I have my main ICX 7150 plugged into my Internet router (Sonicwall) and also back to server room with a second ICX 7150 wherer DHCP server is.
Question is how do I set up DHCP IP helper so wireless clients each get the appropriate IP from the DHCP server?

I can provide more info if it is needed.

TT24
11 REPLIES 11

dave_watkins_74
Contributor
Whatever device hosts the gateways for the subnets is the device that needs the ip-helper setup. You don't mention what that is so that's about as much as anyone can tell you. Depending on device it may also be called a DHCP Relay Agent. All you should have to do is give it the IP address of your DHCP server

tom_lebel
New Contributor II
Dave,

Thanks for the reply.  I am still building this replacement structure for the old over-worked network, so I have options.
My thought was to use the new main ICX-7150 as the gateway for the new VLANs (10.56.2.250, 10.56.3.250), and use the existing networks DHCP on 10.56.0.x as the DHCP for all 3 networks. VLAN 2 and 3 are tied to router-interfaces ve 2 and ve 3, so am I interpreting this correctly?
#interface ve 2
#ip helper-address 10.56.0.x
#exit
#interface ve 3
#ip helper-address 10.56.0.x
#exit
#wr mem
?

dave_watkins_74
Contributor
I've not dealt with ICX so can't tell you is that's the correct commands for the platform, but the intention is correct

igor_tunakin
Contributor
Hi Tom,

could you show the network diagramm. It is a litle bit unclear  why do you need a DHCP-relay. You must confgure a helper addres to forward a client broadcast request for a UDP application when the client and DHCP-server are on different networks.
Do I understand correct that you have two ICX 7150 and both of them have L3 image? If your Router have all VLANs in the routing table you don't need to configure a DHCP-Relay.