cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foundry Switch Jumbo Frames Support

mikehammett
New Contributor II
I have some Foundry FESX424F-PREM switches running version 3.1. I see from various places online that jumbo frames are supported.

In the config menu, I do see the jumbo command to enable jumbo frame support switch wide.

In a manual I dug up on version 4.3, I see commands to enable jumbo frame support per-port. I don't see those commands in my CLI, so can I assume that my version doesn't have that ability and I need to upgrade?

Note: In another thread I am asking about the upgrade process.
5 REPLIES 5

BenBeck
The old guides used to be a mix of numerous products (XMR, MLX, FES, FESX, etc). It's possibly they aren't for the FESX. Generally speaking, the 'jumbo' command is global only and requires a reload. Which commands were you looking at?
Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

mikehammett
New Contributor II
To change the MTU for interface 1/5 to 1000, enter the following commands:

FastIron(config)#int e 1/5
FastIron(config-if-1/5)#ip mtu 1000
FastIron(config-if-1/5)#write memory
FastIron(config-if-1/5)#end
FastIron#reload

No good indicator around there as to any platform limitations, but I have seen them elsewhere, so I know what you're talking about.

That section seemed to be about layer 3 stuff, but MTU is a layer 2 thing, so maybe I'm not even in the right section. I didn't find any better section, though.

BenBeck
'Jumbo' command is only going to be global. The 'ip mtu' is only going to be applicable on layer 3 interfaces whether that's routed interfaces like your example or VEs. It won't work on a pure layer 2 port though. 
Ben Beck, RCNA, RCNI, Principal Technical Support Engineer
support.ruckuswireless.com/contact-us

mikehammett
New Contributor II
So on a pure layer 2, I'd have to issue global?

That's what I took away, but confirmation is key.