cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating separate VLAN on R510 access points (Lennar configuration)

daniel_moncada_
New Contributor II
I just recently purchased a Lennar home, which comes with the following setup:

- ICX 12port switch
- 3 R510 APs

Because Amazon cannot come out due to Covid-12, I went ahead and configured / set everything up myself. Most of it was very familiar, as I am coming from a Ubiquiti setup in the past.

Anyways, I went ahead and setup my home network as follows:

- Arris Modem
- Ubiquiti Security Gateway Router (firewall / DHCP)
- Pi-Hole (DNS)
- ICX switch
  - upgraded to latest firmware and bootrom
- Access points
 - upgraded to latest firmware

Everything works great, and I am very happy.

Now as the next step, I would like to setup the R510s to provide a separate WVLAN for all my IoT devices. With the WVLAN setup, I would like the following:

- Internal LAN/WLAN to be able to communicate with the WVLAN IoT network
- IoT network not visible? Not sure if this is possible, but I would rather not have the IoT network visible as a public network anyone can see (when searching for WiFi)

5 REPLIES 5

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Daniel,

Refer my response below..

- Internal LAN/WLAN to be able to communicate with the WVLAN IoT network
> Make sure dedicated WLAN for IoT network and other WLAN's VLAN can talk to each other (InterVLAN routing on router/firewall).
- IoT network not visible? Not sure if this is possible, but I would rather not have the IoT network visible as a public network anyone can see (when searching for WiFi)
> In the WLAN setting, you can make the SSID as "Hidden", though SSID will be visible as HIDDEN but beacons will not broadcast the name. Make sure SSIDs are encrypted so that no one can connect.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Thanks for the reply.. Through unleashed, what's the best way to set up these WVLANs?

Hi Daniel,

Could you confirm what do you mean by WVLAN.

So there are WLANs (Wireless LAN) and there are VLANs (Virtual LANs) and both are two different things.

VLAN by default on all Ruckus WLANs is set to 1 which is Untagged VLAN. In order to change the VLAN for a specific WLAN, please edit the WLAN settings >> go to advanced options and under VLAN box, put your desired VLAN number.

Please note that when you change VLAN of a specific WLAN from 1 to any other VLAN, it becomes a tagged VLAN. So your switch(s) should also support VLAN tagging on its trunk ports, in order to pass client traffic on specific tagged VLANs.

If you could send specific query with regards to WLAN or VLAN then I will try to explain in more detailed way.

Thank you.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

Thanks for the response and sorry for the confusion. By WVLAN, I was referring to a VLAN on the access points (wireless) as opposed to a VLAN on the switch (hard-wired). 

If everything on the WLAN is already on VLAN 1, then what I am looking to do is to create a separate VLAN so that all my wireless IoT devices can connect to this new network on the access point and be separate from my "Safe" internal devices on the network (such as WiFi on laptops, computers, etc.). I would also like the "Safe" internal devices to be able to communicate with the wireless IoT devices, but I don't want the WLAN IoT devices to be able to communicate with the "Safe" internal devices.