cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICX 7150-C12P speed change

neil_hetzel
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have a Ruckus switch in my Lennar home, which we moved into in early May (2021).  I have a Netgear S8000 Switch in one of the rooms to support the multiple wired connections I need in that room.  Last week I started having speed problems which I believed were related to the Netgear switch. I factory reset it, installed new firmware etc etc. While some problems resolved a new one appeared...or was perhaps the problem all along.

I used to get over 700Mbps download speed and a similar extremely fast upload speed. However now I get an oddly balanced ~90up and ~90 down. Of course my first thought was this was related to the Netgear switch.  It is worth noting that other devices in my home are still getting over 700 up and down. It's just my room that's getting 90/90.

So I eliminated the switch from the equation and plugged a laptop directly into the cable going to the wall (and back to the Ruckus switch). I still got a balanced 90/90.  Thinking perhaps it was the ethernet cable going from the laptop to the wall, I replaced the cable with a new Cat6 cable. I still got a 90/90 up and down speed.

This now seems to be a speed limitation enforced by the switch, but only on the port that this room connects to(?)

I cannot seem to find a way to connect to an interface on the switch (via browser) to see what the issue might be.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to resolve this so I'm back to my faster download and upload speeds?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

neil_hetzel
New Contributor II

Ended up being an ethernet port on the switch (1/1/8) had gone bad and failed to pass gigabit ethernet. It refused to go any higher than 100Mbps. Ruckus is replacing the switch.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

neil_hetzel
New Contributor II

I forgot to add, I purchased an entirely new switch for that room and replaced the S8000 with an TP-Link TL-SG108 and still got the same 90 up and down. Point is, switch, no switch, replaced cable all of it....the speed at the wall is drastically dropped and I can only think this is happening at the Ruckus switch.

neil_hetzel
New Contributor II

After a lot of digging and guessing I was able to connect to my switch via a browser (came to find out latter that the installers disabled Telnet). I made my way to the Port->Ethernet submenu where I found this table:

Image_ images_messages_613c7bee44197d015aa8fc78_a757f065bc16a8a93ad6a99f725ac267_Capture-5673f6af-7f03-49d0-8dca-ad0cedf756fc-1829659897.JPG
My port is 1/1/8. In this screen shot it was set to 100Mbps. After changing it to 1G-full-master, my speed is much improved up to 300Mbs down and a little less than that up. However, if I run a speed test on my son's computer it's getting about 800Mbps down.
Does anyone have documentation for this switch or something I can read to learn this interface? I'd like to know a bit more about what I'm doing before mucking around more. Any thoughts on why we're getting differing speeds?

neil_hetzel
New Contributor II

I'm right back where I started. I had to change the speed back to Auto (10Mbps) because my NAS becomes unreachable if I have the higher speed set on my port. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

neil_hetzel
New Contributor II

Ended up being an ethernet port on the switch (1/1/8) had gone bad and failed to pass gigabit ethernet. It refused to go any higher than 100Mbps. Ruckus is replacing the switch.