cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a router?

william_bixler
New Contributor II
I'm new to Ruckus and am unfamiliar with the networking equipment.

I have an Arris Surfboard SB6183 modem, a Ruckus ICX 7150-c12p switch, and 2 Ruckus R510 access points.

With this, do I also need a router or does one of the listed Ruckus devices act as one? I am trying to setup Ruckus Unleashed but am having a lot of problems. If I do need a router, any suggestions on routers compatible with Ruckus devices for home use?
13 REPLIES 13

abilashpr
Contributor III
Hi William,

You got all the ingredients for Great WiFi!!!

You just need to power the Modem and connect all the devices.

I got a ICX7150-c12P which ran router code on primary, and if the Modem runs DHCP everything should be fine, if not you need to run DHCP on the ICX once you got the wired set up, log into unleashed via configure-me SSID or just type in the Unleashed IP in the browser and play as you required that's it, now experience Smart blazing WiFi no AI.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
Abilash PR

Sweet! No more hardware at least!

My modem does not run DHCP. Is there documentation somewhere for setting up the service in the ICX switch?

Thank you so much!

Hi William,

Please use below link and download ICX-Upgrade Guide using your support account, if not this is the best time to register and download all the needed documents and firmware, then navigate to page 11 in the Upgrade Guide, if you have CLI access to the switch and if you have a USB its easy else fire up a TFTP server.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/3055-fastiron-08-0-92-ga-software-upgrade-guide

Regarding DHCP, please refer link below and download DHCP server guide.

https://support.ruckuswireless.com/documents/3059-fastiron-08-0-92-ga-dhcp-configuration-guide

Below is the sample DHCP server configuration, you can modify it according to your need.

ip dhcp-server enable
!
ip dhcp-server pool 1
 dhcp-default-router 192.168.8.100 
 dns-server 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4                                       
 excluded-address 192.168.8.99 192.168.8.140
 lease 0 2 0
 network 192.168.8.0 255.255.252.0
 deploy
Below is a sample configuration of a ICX Router, please change the IP addresses according to your need and modify default route to the IP address from your ISP.

vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port
 router-interface ve 1
!                                                                 
!
!
aaa authentication web-server default local
aaa authentication login default local
enable telnet authentication
enable aaa console
hostname Home-Router
ip dhcp-server enable
!
ip dhcp-server pool 1
 dhcp-default-router 192.168.8.100 
 dns-server 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4                                       
 excluded-address 192.168.8.99 192.168.8.140
 lease 0 2 0
 network 192.168.8.0 255.255.252.0
 deploy
!
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.8.201
!
!
!
!
!
!
interface ve 1
 ip address 192.168.8.100 255.255.252.0
!
!
!
!
!
lldp run
!
!
!
!
end
Edit the above configuration according to your need and paste it on the CLI and your Home WiFi should be up and running in minutes.

As the ICX compact is new, it should run 8.0.80 or higher version which should be good if I were you I would leave it on 8.0.80, now the only command that would require is "boot system flash secondary yes", as it is ICX-7150c12 the primary runs on router code, please verify the same using "show version" command the same information is available on Page 11 in the Upgrade Guide.

Hope it helps!!!

Regards,
Abilash PR.

hayward_kong
Contributor III
I think Lennar home users by default are using the switch firmware on the ICX7150-c12P, most home users don't know how  flash the firmware on the icx..... I recommend getting a router or if you have one you can use an older wifi router but just shut off the wifi on it. Do you have any older wifi equipment and if so what?