cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to auto-provision Brocade switches by DHCP

point_of_presen
New Contributor II
Going through the documentation (which is pretty shoddy) I can't seem to figure this out. My best guess, from what I've read, is:
  • Unzip firmware distribution into TFTP server root
  • Add option 66 pointing to DHCP server (e.g. 192.168.0.1)
  • Add option 67 pointing to manifest file (e.g. FI08070a_Manifest.txt)
  • Reboot switch

However, after getting a DHCP address there are no attempts by the switch to download the manifest file (but it does try to download a config file.) How does this work?
9 REPLIES 9

david_ellis_h2n
New Contributor II
Depending on the Switch model and the code version, the manifest.txt file may not work. You have to be on a 7000 series switch and at least 8.0.40 code to recognize the manifest. I created this document that may be helpful as well.

http://www.netadmin.us/docs/DHCP-Auto-Provision.pdf

point_of_presen
New Contributor II
ICX7150 8.0.61a. Just completely ignores whatever I put in option 67 (which I assume is what your config is calling a "bootfile".) No download attempts at all.

david_ellis_h2n
New Contributor II
Can you post your DHCP Pool configuration and what version of Manifest file you are using?

point_of_presen
New Contributor II
Also worth noting that the documentation is wrong regarding configuration downloads as well. It does request multiple configuration files:
* hostnameMAC-config.cfg
* hostnameMAC.cfg
* hostname.cfg
* brocade.cfg
But it stops after the first one. Claims that subsequent files are appended to the configuration are not true.