cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade ZD to 9.7.2 - is it necessary for ZD to report to Ruckus in order to function?

thbert
New Contributor III
We have a legacy system that we need to keep running a while longer with a ZD 3000 and outdoor mesh that should be upgraded from 9.6.2. to 9.7.2.

When you download 9.7.2 firmware from Ruckus there is a disclaimer to the effect that ZD and the APs will periodically connect to Ruckus to report serial numbers, support status, etc.

In our case everything runs on a private subnet that won't by default allow outbound communication with Ruckus. My question is, given this, will the software otherwise function normally? Or is the reporting required for ZD to work with 7.6.2?

thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Anusha_Vemula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hello,

Yes, the firmware works normally and shouldn't create any issues even if there is no outbound communication to our Ruckus support site.

Regards,
Anusha

thbert
New Contributor III
Anusha,
When I attempted this, ZD successfully upgraded to 9.7.2.0.20 but then none of the APs were able to upgrade and remained disconnected.
ZD error message was "Failure to upgrade AP image ... after [16] retries"

All of my APs are 7762s but I noticed that there is no 9.7.2.0.20 firmware available for the APs, assuming that manually upgrading each would help.

Any suggestions as to why the APs would not upgrade? I tried factory reset on and individual AP, power cycling and deleting from ZD but still had the same result.

Fortunately I was able to restore to 9.6.2.0.13 but would still like to upgrade.
thanks

Anusha_Vemula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hello,

Can you check if FTP is enabled or not on the ZD? Login to the ZD cli using any SSH tool like PuTTy and give the following commands.

ruckus> en    
ruckus# config
ruckus(config)# system
ruckus(config-sys)#ftp
ruckus(config-sys)#end

Regards,
Anusha

thbert
New Contributor III
FTP was not enabled. thanks - I'll try again.