cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create hidden SSID's in Ruckus Cloud?

brock_fansler
New Contributor II
Got my APs onboarded but it doesn't appear that there's a way to create hidden SSIDs using Ruckus Cloud, or am I missing something?

Also, how do I SSH into my APs now? the Default password seems to have changed from super / sp-admin
3 REPLIES 3

phal_nanda
Contributor
Hi Brock, hidden SSID is something we want customers to avoid using to avoid future troubleshooting/challenges when people forget setting them, or can't find them when searching to connect to them. Can you reach out to product team (do you have a ruckus SE/field contract?) with your needs why you really need the hidden SSID support? Many wifi clients are coded to avoid connecting to hidden SSIDs. These are client/vendor specific implementations, but hidden SSIDs in general are discouraged from being used.

SSH into AP: would you tell us the top 2 or 3 reasons why you want to SSH into the AP? We have locked the SSH access for security reasons. Default uname/pwd that is supplied at factory default are designed to be overwritten as soon as the AP is connected to Cloud. We have a couple of items such as support log that you can pull from the AP using the Web UI (just go to AP detail page, and look at top right for a more button and click get support log). 

thanks
Phal
PLM/Cloud

brock_fansler
New Contributor II
Yes, we are running a retail store and need hidden SSIDs per VLAN for a few of our interactive displays. We don't want our customers to see a list of internal SSIDs when they try to get on our public Wifi.

We do not have a SE / Field contact. 

SSH into the AP is for the above reason. Will there ever be a CLI for the APs available in the cloud? I like Ruckus hardware, but Xirrus cloud offers many more features and granularity. Additionally, we need to create hidden SSIDs per AP and force APs onto certain channels / channel widths. Example Network setup is as such for our retail environment:

AP1 40mhz 5Ghz: RetailName-Prod, RetailName-Guest (VLAN 99)
AP2 40mhz 5Ghz: RetailName-Prod, RetailName-Guest (VLAN 99)
AP3 80mhz 5Ghz: HiddenSSID1 (VLAN20)
AP4 80mhz 5Ghz: HiddenSSID1 (VLAN20)
AP4 40mhz 5Ghz: RetailName-Prod, RetailName-Guest (VLAN 99), HiddenSSID2 (VLAN 10) 
and so on for 8 APs.

I'm happy to better describe the why's with an SE / Field tech.

Perhaps we were oversold of Ruckus Cloud vs a Zoneflex controller?

phal_nanda
Contributor
Thanks. You can go to each AP today, fix the channel, turn on/off radio etc from the Cloud UI. Today, when you create an SSID and apply to a venue, all the APs in that venue advertise that SSID. We are working on pushing SSIDs to a subset of APs (tagged APs) as opposed to all APs in a venue - this is in the near-term roadmap. In the meanwhile, if per-AP SSID advertisement is critical, you could break down the APs into venues of their own. You can then apply the same SSID to only those venues (each with 1 AP e.g.) that you want. And you can control each AP with a fixed channel and width today - it is under AP Detail screen, then scroll down a bit to see the "review" button. See attached screen grab. Image_ images_messages_5f91c426135b77e247989c1a_0d94a143ed922ff0aefa9c9c2c8670d0_RackMultipart2016100549817107o-208de75c-a344-4d90-9f08-aca72bf5e166-975026255.jpg1475704883

Reach out to me pnanda@...for more tips and to discuss your case in more detail.
thanks
Phal