cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R510 ZoneFlex Untagged VLAN and Cisco Switch

andy_lizak
New Contributor II
I have an R510 AP that I am trying to use in stand alone mode. I have 3 networks I want to bring down to the AP using the ZoneFlex firmware

• VLAN 10 - MGMT =  This is the network I want to assign the IP to the AP to manage it.
  • VLAN 20 - Wireless = Main wireless network
  • VLAN 40 - Guest = Guest network
Configuration scenarios I have tried:
         A:  R510:
                Under the Management Interface I have set the VLAN to 10 and assigned the IP.
              Cisco 2960G
                 switchport mode trunk
                 switchport trunk native vlan 10
                 switchport trunk allowed vlan 30,40

B: R510:
               Under the Management Interface I leave this set to default VLAN and assign the IP
               Under interface eth0, confirmed it is a Trunk port and set the untagged to VLAN 10
              Cisco 2960G
                 switchport mode trunk
         C: R510:
               Under the Management Interface I leave this set VLAN 10 and assign the IP
               Under interface eth0, confirmed it is a Trunk port and set the untagged to VLAN 10
              Cisco 2960G
                 switchport mode trunk
        😧 R510:
               Leave all VLANs to vlan 1 and set IP in the range
              Cisco 2960G
                 switchport mode trunk
                 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,30,40

I then flashed the R510 to the Unleased software to see if that was any better. Easier -- yes. Does what I want -- No.

The only way I can get the AP to function the way I want to is to use BOTH ports on the AP:
             eth0 - gets the mgmt IP and the switchport configured as an access port on that network
             eth1 - set as trunk on default (1) with the client LANs trunked down to assign to WLANS

I do not want to have to run 2 cables to this AP when I put it where I want it.

Has anyone done anything like this and can help me?
5 REPLIES 5

david_black_594
Contributor III
- Configure the switch as shown in A, B, or C (untagged vlan = 10, other vlans allowed 20, 30, etc)
- Connect one cable to the AP's POE in port. 
- Leave the AP's network settings and the management interface set to default (untagged vlan 1). 
- The switch will put the AP and management interface in vlan 10.
- Tag the WLANs as desired with 20 and 30. 

andy_lizak
New Contributor II
Can I still statically assign the IP at the AP level or should I set a reservation on the DHCP server?

david_black_594
Contributor III
Either way (static or reservation) is fine.  If you're using unleashed, the AP's address and the Management address must be in the same subnet. 

I’ll have to try it. I do not have a DHCP scope set for the management vlan. So I will leave the configuration as is: Unleashed firmware with a static IP.