cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error trying to troubleshoot a Chromebook client.

itss_department
New Contributor

We are running a ZD3000 with 10.1.2.0.306 firmware. While trying to use the Troubleshooting > Client Connectivity, after entering the Chromebook's MAC address and clicking "Start", I get the pop-up error message "The device connected to Portal WLAN or WEP WLAN which is not supported by Client Connectivity feature". What exactly does this mean? Does troubleshooting not work with Chromebooks? I am told that this Chromebook is brand new. The WLAN it is trying to connect to is configured for WPA2 AES with 802.1x EAP authentication. It can successfully connect to our guest network which does not require authentication.

3 REPLIES 3

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi,

The error "The device connected to Portal WLAN or WEP WLAN which is not supported by Client Connectivity feature" is indicating that client connectivity troubleshooting feature for captive portal SSID is not supported on this firmware version.

Guest, WISPR, web auth will show you the same error on because client connection troubleshooting feature for these type of SSIDs was added to later firmware version.

However, I am wondering why you are getting that error if client is connecting to 802.1x EAP auth. You should not get that error. Make sure client connects to correct SSID when you run the client connection. Client may be falling back to guest SSID after unsuccessful connection to 802.1X SSID and that's when controller is showing the error.

Bdw, newer ZD versions do support most of the WLAN type for client connection troubleshooting.

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

That does explain the behavior. The client was falling back to the guest WLAN. I thought it might have something to do with the primary problem. But as you state, it does not. Thanks for the clarification. We resolved the original problem by removing the save SSIDs on the Chromebook, removing and re-adding permissions in Active Directory and reconnecting. That did not work on the first attempt but did on the second. Thanks again.

Glad to know that issue has been fixed!

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn