cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect H510 to R320 WLAN

todd_fulcher
New Contributor

My new home came with four of these Ruckus R320 wireless access points to provide coverage throughout the home.  Unfortunately, Lennar being Lennar, that’s all they provided, so there are no wired connections anywhere in the house and it’s difficult to run any cabling to connect my NAS and my home computer which are both wired devices. I researched and thought I’d found a potential solution in the form of the H510 wireless access point. However, I don’t seem to be able to make any progress toward getting this device to see and connect to the mesh WLAN that I have set up on my R320 devices.  All I want is for this H510 to allow me to connect several wired devices to the Ruckus network. Is that possible? The H510 seems to want to set up its own WLAN. 

3 REPLIES 3

david_black_594
Contributor III

Unfortunately the R320 does not support mesh.  If Lennar didn't prewire the house, then they gave you the wrong AP - the R320 requires a wired connection.     

The R320 devices are all connected to each other with a wired connection. There’s an ICX7150-12 switch in the network enclosure that connects them all. 

is there any solution to get some wired devices onto this network when I can’t run cabling to that switch? I’ll buy something if I need to. I just need to get it working.  

There are several solutions. 

1. Move the NAS to where your switch and router are located, connect the NAS to the switch, and convert the PC to wireless. 

2. Buy a couple of powerline adapters that can send ethernet over the house AC wiring.  Connect one to the switch and plug the other one into an AC outlet in your home office. If you get a model with two gig ports, you can connect the PC and the NAS directly to the powerline adapter.  The advertised speed on the box is exaggerated, but it's not bad.

3. If you have cable outlets in the office and near to the switch, you can use MoCA adapters to send ethernet over coax. This is basically the same concept as #2 except using coax instead of electrical wiring to transport the ethernet.

4. An all Ruckus solution would be to add an R510 to the wired network (or replace one of the R320 APs with an R510).  Place the H510 in the office and mesh it to the R510.  Use the switch ports on the H510 to connect the NAS and PC.

Lastly, it might be worthwhile to ask a top-notch cable installer to take a look.  The really good ones can many times figure out how to get a data cable to an impossible location.