cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access Instagram on Ruckus

doug_knopper
New Contributor II
All of a sudden, We cannot access Instagram or Reddit via Ruckus WiFi in our home. Details:
- we use Zone Director 1200 and three APs.
- Xfinity is our broadband provider.
- cannot download anything on Instagram (says “Cannot connect to Internet”)
- consistent on a variety of iPhones, iPads and Mac laptops
- able to connect with no problem if bypass Ruckus and connect directly to Xfinity router or using cellular service
- all apps are updated
Any suggestions welcome! Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

syamantakomer
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi Doug,

Please try following and also provide below details.
  1. Connect a laptop to the wireless. Ping "instagram.com" and "reddit.com" check if DNS is getting resolved and if you are able to ping the sites.
  2. Login to ZD and check if there is any L3/L4 ACL or Application Control policy is applied to the WLAN (refer screenshot below).
  3. Try creating a new WLAN with default settings and then test with a client to see if it can connect to these sites.
  4. Confirm the ZD firmware version.
  5. When bypassing Ruckus, is the client getting IP from same subnet or different? If different, and if there is a firewall between client subnet and the internet, check and make sure firewall is not blocking those sites or URL filtering is not enabled for those sites.
Image_ images_messages_5f91c45d135b77e247a4a6f6_a1701be8240c1c4dc3fbd2fdcfbf1818_RackMultipart20200810249199qcp-2f5e58f6-80b9-4a57-84cb-de8ccd61d7e5-289034349.png1597055669

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

doug_knopper
New Contributor II
Hello, thanks for this quick and thoughtful response. I'm somewhat of an amateur at this so my reply might not be that informative but here's what I can find out (inline CAPS below):
1. Connect a laptop to the wireless. Ping "instagram.com" and "reddit.com" check if DNS is getting resolved and if you are able to ping the sites. YES NO PROBLEM

2. Login to ZD and check if there is any L3/L4 ACL or Application Control policy is applied to the WLAN (refer screenshot below). NOTHING THAT IS NOT DEFAULT, SEE BELOW
3. Try creating a new WLAN with default settings and then test with a client to see if it can connect to these sites. I CREATED ANOTHER WLAN IT STILL DOES NOT CONNECT 

4. Confirm the ZD firmware version. I THINK THIS IS IT: Version9.12.2.0 build 101
5. When bypassing Ruckus, is the client getting IP from same subnet or different? If different, and if there is a firewall between client subnet and the internet, check and make sure firewall is not blocking those sites or URL filtering is not enabled for those sites. SEEMS TO BE SAME SUBNET BUT NOT EXACTLY SURE I AM DOING THIS CORRECTLY.
ADDITIONAL CLARIFICATION: WE CAN CONNECT TO INSTAGRAM BUT IT WILL NOT DISPLAY PHOTOS OR VIDEOS AND IS VERY SLOW AND SPOTTY.

Does this help?

Doug

Hi Doug,

This is weird.

Firmware version is too old, so it is advised to upgrade it to recommended version. Confirm the AP models connected to your ZD and I will provide you recommended version.

Please note, it may or may not fix your issue because we don't know the root cause of this problem. It would be best if you could open a support case and let support check the issue.

Regards,
Syamantak Omer

Syamantak Omer
Sr.Staff TSE | CWNA | CCNA | RCWA | RASZA | RICXI
RUCKUS Networks, CommScope!
Follow me on LinkedIn

doug_knopper
New Contributor II
Another note: I’m also having troubles accessing the Ruckus support site using the Ruckus WiFi (I’m getting error messages saying I’m being “Rate Limited”). I responded by connecting directly to Xfinity And bypassing the Ruckus WiFi.